Virtual Study Hall
MITT Virtual Study Hall is a time and place (online) that students can join to study independently, but also take breaks to connect with others.
The goal of the study hall is to simulate a campus common area, library or coffee shop environment where students would normally study together. Many students find that they focus better when they are around other people, because when you see others are studying too, it’s easier to stay on task.
We also want to help you connect with each other so that you can experience the social benefits that have been missing during the pandemic. So, there will be an open group chat running, as well as 5-min social breaks when students are welcome to turn on microphones and cameras to say hi, talk about their study goals or participate in quick icebreaker games.
- Students join a video conference where the main purpose is to study together virtually at the same time as others
- Open to all, voluntary, drop in, registration optional
- For students in all programs together—if the events are very popular, subject-specific sessions will be scheduled
- Casual, low-pressure setting, not recorded by MITT
- Hosted by an MITT student or staff member
- At the start, say hi to the host or other students, and feel free to declare your study goal for that session. Setting a goal for each 20-minute study period, or the whole session, can be very helpful. You can also do this in the group chat, which will be open the whole time
- You can study on your own, or you can be placed in a breakout room with a tutor/mentor, friend or other students from your program
- The host is there to provide support and answer any questions that may arise. They will keep track of time and guide the 5-min break activities. They can provide tips on how to study better.
Each session goes like this:
|First 5 minutes||The host will welcome students, explain how it works and invite students to share their study topics or questions|
|5 minutes||Make your study plan, set goals|
|20 minutes||Study period—students stay online and it’s quiet in the main room while everyone studies. You can request a breakout room/table for studying or talking with others|
|5-minute break||The host may invite everyone to share about their study progress, or mention upcoming MITT events or ways to get study help|
|20 minutes||Study period—students stay online and it’s quiet in the main Zoom room while everyone studies. You can request a breakout room/table for studying or talking with others|
|5 minutes||Finish up, plan for your next session!|
The format is inspired by the Pomodoro Technique for productivity.
When is this offered? Do I need to register?
Virtual Study Hall will resume January 17, 2023.
Tuesdays, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. CST
Link for all sessions: mitt-ca.zoom.us/j/85910386018?pwd=dytlakd3cEhwRnAvYTlpbG9UdytNQT09
Contact us with any questions!
If you would like to request any accommodations for participation or inclusion in the Virtual Study Hall. please contact us before you attend to see what may be possible.