MITT Homestay Program
**UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE: NEW APPLICATIONS FOR HOMESTAY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED**
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Homestays provide students an opportunity to experience life with a local family, practice and improve English language skills and make lasting memories. For many students coming to MITT to study, it is their first time away from home and family and a homestay is a great way to make the transition easier. Host families play a key role in a student’s experience in Winnipeg by exposing him or her to local food, customs and culture and providing valuable support with adjusting to a new environment.
Accommodation is one of the pillars of student success. For this reason, we have developed our in-house homestay program with the mission to provide an enriching cultural exchange between students and host families where communication skills are reinforced outside the classroom in a safe and supportive environment.
What is included?
- Private bedroom, single bed with linens, closet, desk, lamp, desk chair
- 3 nutritious meals per day
- All utilities (hydro, water, gas, internet)
How far will my homestay be?
We work very hard to find suitable homestay hosts that are close to campus, although is not always possible. Average travel time by bus may vary between 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on location and local traffic and weather conditions. In summer, some students are able to bike or walk to campus!
What are some activities I can do after school?
Every family is different and it also depends on your personal preferences and lifestyle. Winnipeg and Manitoba have a lot to offer when it comes to attractions, festivals, things to do and places to visit. A few ideas can include: biking, going to the movies, shopping, visiting museums, going to a concert, skiing, camping, swimming at the lake or soaking up the sun at the beach. The choice is yours!
What is the cost per month?
Cost per month is $700 due in advance for the first 2 months for a total of $1,400.
How much is the application fee?
There is a non-refundable application fee of $150 and a non-refundable placement fee of $200.
How do I pay?
There are a few payment options available to International Students. Please click here for payment methods.
How long can I stay in a homestay?
There is a minimum stay of 2 months and students are welcome to stay in the program for as long as they are active students of the College.
How do I apply?
Read and agree to all terms and conditions of the program as stated in the Homestay Program Guidelines for Students, submit a completed application form and pay the required fees.
For students, both the Appilcation and the Agreement must be sent at the same time.
NOTE: Although we do our best to match our students with families that meet their preferences, this may not be possible at times. Placements are not guaranteed and are assigned on a first-come-first-served basis.
If you have any questions or require further information, please feel free to contact us:
Student Life Coordinator
Phone: (204) 989-7199
Benefits of hosting a student:
- Opportunity to make new friends from around Canada and the world
- Flexibility to host students for short- or long-term programs
- Have new experiences and learn about other cultures
- Extra income
Expectations of Homestay Families
- Provide three meals per day. Not all meals need to be prepared but it is expected that provisions be available when student is to prepare their own meal. For example, students can prepare their own breakfast provided that the kitchen is stocked with bread, cereal, fruit, etc. Students should be included in family meals.
- A private, furnished bedroom must be provided for each student that you host, including linens.
- English is spoken in the home as the primary language.
- Students have access to laundry facilities in the home.
- Students are not expected to clean the home beyond cleaning up after themselves.
- Internet access (preferably Wi-Fi) is available at no additional cost to the students.
- Host families are encouraged to include home stay students in family activities.
The remuneration for host families is $700 per month.
MITT Homestay - Guidelines for Hosts
MITT Homestay - Application for Hosts
If you are interested being a homestay host, please answer a few simple questions and an MITT staff member will be in touch.
For more information, contact:
Student Life Coordinator
Phone: (204) 989-7199
Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.