Visitor Visa (TRV)

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is informally known as a visitor or tourist visa. It is an official document issued by a visa office abroad that is placed in a person’s passport to show that he or she has met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (a visitor, student or worker).


Visit this IRCC link and answer the eligibility questions to find out what you need to travel to, or transit through, Canada.

Documents required

  • Document Checklist [IMM 5484] or [IMM 5721]
    • (Refer to the IRCC link above to confirm with form you need)
  • Application for TRV [IMM 5257]
  • Family Information form [IMM 5707]
  • Fee payment (print out payment receipt if you apply on paper)
  • Copy of passport pages
  • 2 photos if you apply on paper
  • Proof of financial support
  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • Purpose of travel (refer to visa office in your region)
  • Copy of current immigration document
  • Minors traveling alone or with a parent must provide custody document
  • Any additional document applicable to you and/or required by visa office in your region

Refer to visa office in your region and the following link for the official information and requirements:

Invitation letter

Do you need an invitation letter to invite your family for convocation and/or to apply for their visitor visa? You are required to write an invitation letter on your own.

To support their TRV (visitor visa) application, contact MITT Enrolment Services to request the following documents:

  • A new Confirmation of Enrolment letter (available for current students only. Use Document Request Form to request Confirmation of Enrolment. If they are applying for TRV after you complete your program, you may use Confirmation of Completion instead. Contact if you have questions regarding supporting documents)
  • Convocation information letter or email (Enrolment Services usually issue it two months before convocation.)

Refer to the following information from IRCC for guidance in writing the invitation letter:

A letter of invitation does not guarantee that IRCC will issue a visa. You should still write the letter in good faith.

Send your letter (notarized, if the visa office asks for that) to the person you are inviting to Canada. The person must then send this letter to the Canadian embassy or consulate outside of Canada when he or she applies for a temporary resident visa.

You must include this information about the person you are inviting:

  • complete name,
  • date of birth,
  • address and telephone number,
  • your relationship to the person,
  • the purpose of the trip,
  • how long the person plans to stay in Canada,
  • where the person will stay, and how he or she will pay for things, and
  • when the person plans to leave Canada.

You must include this information about yourself:

  • complete name,
  • date of birth,
  • address and telephone number in Canada,
  • job title,
  • whether you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
  • a photocopy of a document proving your status in Canada, such as a study permit and TRV (visa sticker on your passport)
  • details of your family, such as names and dates of birth of your spouse and dependents, and
  • the total number of people living in your household, including people you sponsored whose sponsorship is still in effect

This information is only a guide. You must write the letter of invitation yourself. Some visa offices may ask that a notary public notarize your letter.

How to apply

You may apply online or mail your application to a Visa Application Center (VAC) that serves your area.

Click this link to find a visa application centre:

Applying online

Follow these steps:

  1. Visit the link below and create Government of Canada online account.
  2. Log-in to your account and answer the questions online.
  3. Download the application forms. Fill them out and upload them.
  4. Prepare required documents from Document Checklist. Scan each document and upload them.
  5. Review your application.
  6. Submit your application.
  7. Once submitted, you will receive the fee payment receipt and Acknowledgement of Receipt letter on your Government of Canada online account. Keep them as a proof of application submission.

Contact the nearest visa office for country specific requirements.

Applying on paper

Contact the nearest visa office for country specific requirements.

Follow these steps to apply:

  1. Download and print the application package from this link:
  2. Fill out the forms and print them.
  3. Prepare the required documents from Document Checklist.
  4. Pay the application fee online.
  5. Review your application package.
  6. Mail the complete application package to IRCC. Keep a copy of the application. Send it by a registered mail and keep the tracking number for your record.

Disclaimer: The content on this website is only a guide for MITT students, not official legal advice, and information on this website may change without notice. Students are entirely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all IRCC regulations at all times during their studies and while they are in Canada, including requirements for permit and visa. We recommend students to refer to IRCC website at or contact IRCC Client Support Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to obtain the most-up-to-date information.

Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.



Call us at 204-989-6500