Study permit

The study permit is a document IRCC issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada.

You need a study permit if your course or program is longer than 6 months.

You can apply online or on paper.

Important reminder

  • Students are responsible to maintain a valid study permit and to apply for an extension before one’s permit or visa expires.
  • Make sure to apply for a permit or visa before the expiration date.
  • After receiving a Letter of Acceptance, you must apply for a study permit as soon as possible.
  • Refer to this IRCC website for the official information on study permit:
  • Students must submit a proof of valid study permit to MITT Admissions ( at least 30 days before the start of the program. If not, admitted students may request a deferral to the next available intake.

Initial study permit (applying outside Canada)

You may apply for an initial study permit outside Canada.

Visit this link to find out how to apply:

Required documents for initial study permit (applying outside Canada)

  • Letter of acceptance
  • Proof of identity (valid passport)
  • Proof of financial support

Depending on your region, you may also need:

  • Family Information form
  • Letter of explanation (Submitting your study plan is recommended. Review the visa office instructions for details.)
  • Custodian declaration (minors only)
  • Any additional documents as required. Contact a visa application centre in your region for requirements. Review the visa office instructions specific to the visa application centre in your region.

Visit this link for detailed instructions in preparing documents:

How to apply online: initial study permit (applying outside Canada)

Follow these steps:

  1. Create your Government of Canada online account
  2. Sign up with your information
    • Click Sign Up button to create your profile.
    • Don’t forget your username, password and security answers! You will need them later.
  3. Start an application
    • Click Apply to come to Canada to start an application under Start an application section.
  4. Personal checklist
    • If you have a Personal Reference Code, click Continue.
    • If you don’t have a Personal Reference Code, click Visitor visa, study and/or work permit.
  5. Find out if you’re eligible to apply
    • Fill out your information and click Next to check your eligibility.
    • You won’t see this step if you have a personal reference code.
  6. Your results for eligibility
    • Click Continue to proceed with application.
  7. Create your personal checklist
    • Click Continue to proceed with your personal check list.
  8. Answer the series of questions and review your answers.
    • Click Continue to proceed.
  9. Submitting your application
    • Read instructions thoroughly and click Continue.
  10. Your document checklist

    Application Form:

    1. Click Application for Study Permit Outside of Canada [IMM 1294] and Family Information Form [IMM 5707] to download the forms.
    2. Fill out all the information and validate the forms.
    3. Upload the form by clicking Upload File button.

    Supporting Documents:

    • Upload each document by clicking Upload File button
      • Letter of Acceptance: PDF, JPG, TIFF, PNG, DOC or DOCX format with maximum of 4MB file size is accepted
      • Passport: scan the biodata page (a page with your picture, name and signature) and all stamped pages
      • Proof of means of financial support: scan the applicable bank statements or a certificate balance.
      • Digital photo: take your picture with a camera or scan your passport size photo.
      • Any additional documents applicable to you and any additional documents required by the responsible visa office. Refer to the visa specific instructions for your region.
    • Once all the required form and documents are provided, Next button will appear. Click Next to proceed.
  11. Your declaration and electronic signature
    • Make sure every document has been uploaded and Details status is Uploaded.
    • Agree to the declaration, type an electronic signature, answer the security question, then click Sign button to proceed.
  12. Signature
    • Click Transmit and pay to proceed. You can pay with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, China Union Pay, or a debit card (Visa Debit, Debit MasterCard, Interac).
  13. Congratulations!
    • Once submitted, congratulations message will be displayed. You will receive a fee payment receipt and Acknowledgement of Receipt letter on your Government of Canada online account. This is your proof of application submission. Make sure you keep them for your record.

Refer to the following IRCC link to obtain the official information:

Extend study permit (applying in Canada)

Important reminder:

Make sure to keep a valid study permit during your studies. Make sure to apply for study permit extension before the expiration of the current permit. 

You can apply online or on paper.

Documents you need to extend study permit

Documents you need to extend study permit (applying in Canada)

  • Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709]  
  • Proof of payment of study permit application fee
  • Photocopy of a valid passport
  • Photocopy of the current study permit
  • Letter of Acceptance
  • Confirmation of Enrolment: if you are currently enrolled at MITT, please visit the Official Document Request and Forms page and send the form to CSR at by requesting the letter of enrolment.
  • Proof of academic standing: if you are submitting a paper application or if IRCC requests for proof of academic standing, you may include a letter from registrar and/or photocopies of transcripts from your last two periods of studies.
    • If you transferred from a designated learning institution in Canada, you may include a transcript from your previous school.
    • If you are a returning MITT student, you may use unofficial transcript printed from the student portal.
    • If IRCC requests for an official transcript from MITT, contact General office at to request an official transcript
  • Proof of funds or means of financial support
  • Any additional documents applicable to you
  • If you received a letter from IRCC that requests for a document (i.e. request for an official transcript) or notifies your application has been refused, contact for advice

If you need an advice on study permit extension, contact Immigration Services Advisor at or visit IRCC website at

Visit IRCC link for the official information and additional requirements that might be applicable to you.

How to apply online: applying in Canada for study permit extension

Refer to this link for detailed information regarding study permit.

Applying for study permit and co–op work permit together

If your program includes a mandatory work practicum:

  • You must have a valid co-op work permit to attend your practicum
  • If you are applying for your initial study permit or your study permit will expire before your program ends, we recommend applying for a study permit and co-op work together, using the MITT letter of acceptance and the confirmation of work practicum letter
  • In your study permit application, indicate that you are also applying for a co-op work permit and attach the work practicum letter

Study permit processing time

Note: Processing time can change according to IRCC’s schedule. Due to the impacts of COVID-19, IRCC cannot process applications normally and provide accurate processing times. This processing time doesn’t include the time it takes to send an application between a VAC and IRCC office and the time you need to give your biometrics.

Visit this link for weekly updated application processing time:

Change DLI

Let IRCC know every time you change post-secondary schools.

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

You need to contact IRCC if you:

IRCC may ask you to confirm your student status

If you have a study permit, you may receive an email from IRCC. The email address will end in “” You must follow the instructions in that email, by the date indicated, to confirm you’re enrolled and actively studying in Canada.

If you change schools and don’t tell IRCC

Your old school will report you as not being registered to study. If this happens:

  • you’re breaking the conditions of your study permit
  • you may be asked to leave the country
  • this may prevent you from coming to Canada in the future
    • For example, you may not be approved for another study or work permit in the future.

Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada

If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let IRCC know, you won’t be allowed to enter Canada.

If your application is still in progress

You can tell IRCC you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.

If your application has been approved

If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance. You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

You don’t need a representative to change your DLI in your online account, even if you used one to apply for your study permit initially. You just need the study permit application details.

Follow these instructions to change your DLI in your online account.

MITT DLI number: O19391828428

How to Change DLI

Follow these steps:

  1. Log in to your Government of Canada online account. If you applied for study permit on paper, you need to create an account and then link your application.  Visit this link to create an account.
  2. Under the section Designated Learning Institution Student Transfer, click on Transfer from DLI number.
  3. Enter your study permit application number. It begins with the letter “S” located at the top right of the permit.
  4. Click on Search for my application. You may need to enter more details about your original study permit application.
  5. Enter the DLI number (MITT DLI number: O19391828428), your Student ID and the Start Date
  6. Click on Submit transfer

Visit the IRCC page for details

Study permit and entry Visa (TRV or eTA)

What is the difference between Study Permit and TRV (Temporary Resident Visa)?

  • Study permit allows you to study in Canada, while TRV allows you to enter Canada.
  • Depending on your citizenship, you will need TRV when you enter Canada.

TRV or eTA

To find out if you need a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) or eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization), visit this link:

Note: Your eTA or visa will be issued to you at the same time as your study permit. You do not need to apply separately or to pay an additional fee.

How to apply for a TRV

If you need a TRV:

Click this link for instructions:

For details, you may refer to TRV section in this website.

How to apply for an eTA

If you need an eTA:

Click this link for instructions:

Fingerprint & Photo requirements

Depending on your citizenship, you may need to submit your fingerprints and photo.

Visit this link to find out if you need to meet the fingerprint and photo requirements:

Biometric fees

If you or your family members are required to provide biometric information, the biometric fee ($85 CAD) should be paid at the same time as the study permit processing fee, using the same method of payment, in order to avoid delays in processing your application.

Where to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics):

Visit this link for locations:

Disclaimer: The content on this website is only a guide for MITT students, not official legal advice, and information on this website may change without notice. Students are entirely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all IRCC regulations at all times during their studies and while they are in Canada, including requirements for permit and visa. We recommend students to refer to IRCC website at or contact IRCC Client Support Centre at 1 888 242 2100 to obtain the most-up-to-date information.

Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.