PGWP (Post-Graduation Work Permit)

Important reminder

  • When you apply for PGWP, you may submit the unofficial final transcript from the student portal AND Confirmation of Completion letter. If you received a job offer or your study permit expires within a month, you may request a rushed completion letter at AFTER you finish your program
  • Graduates who applied for a PGWP in Canada before the expiry of study permit are eligible to work full-time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on your application
  • Include Confirmation of Completion letter AND final transcript when you apply
  • Apply within the 180 days of receiving Confirmation of Completion letter. Calculation begins the day the final marks are issued or the day Confirmation of Completion is received, whichever comes first
  • Until you receive Confirmation of Completion, you may work up to 20 hours per week while you have a valid study permit. To work after receiving the completion letter, you must have applied for PGWP before your study permit expiration date
  • If your study permit is no longer valid, and you wish to remain in Canada, you must apply for visitor status before study permit expires. If you change their status to visitor status before your study permit expires, while waiting for the notice of graduation, you may also apply for a post-graduation work permit from within Canada
  • If your study permit expires before you apply: If you don’t change your status to visitor and your study permit expires, you have up to 90 days after your study permit expires to apply for a PGWP and restore your status as a student. To restore your status as a student, you must apply online for your PGWP and pay the correct fee ($255) and pay the fee to restore your status as a student ($350). Because of system limitations, you must pay the fees to restore your status as a student online and attach a copy of the receipt to your PGWP online application. You don’t need to make a separate application to restore your status as a student. You can’t work until your study permit and work permit have been approved. If you don’t apply within the 90 days, or if the 90 days have already passed, you must leave Canada.


You may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit if you:

  • have continuously studied full-time in Canada in a study program at least eight months long
  • have a document from your school (transcript, official letter, certificate, etc.) that confirms you completed and passed all your program requirements
  • have graduated from a public post-secondary school such as a college, trade/technical school or university or a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree) but only if you are enrolled in a study programs leading to a degree as authorized by the province

Visit this link to find out if you are eligible to apply:

Documents required (If you apply in Canada)

  • Application to Change condition, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710]
  • Document Checklist [IMM 5583]
  • Photocopy of passport pages
  • Photocopy of current and valid study permit
  • A final transcript AND Confirmation of Completion letter:You may use an unofficial final transcript printed from the portal, but a final transcript must indicate all final marks and work practicum has been completed if your program has mandatory practicum. Confirmation of Completion may be requested at or General Office on your campus, but Confirmation of Completion cannot be issued until final marks are updated on the portal.
  • Proof of fee payment $255 ($100 open work permit holder fee plus $155 work permit processing fee)
  • For more information, refer to

Processing time

Note: Processing time can change according to IRCC’s schedule. Due to the impacts of COVID-19, IRCC cannot process applications normally and provide accurate processing times. This processing time doesn’t include the time it takes to send an application between a VAC and IRCC office and the time you need to give your biometrics.

Visit this link for weekly updated application processing time.

Duration of work permit

A post-graduation work permit may be valid anywhere between eight months and up to three years, depending on the length of the program of study completed in Canada. The permit cannot be valid for longer than the length of the program of study completed in Canada. For example:

Disclaimer: The content on this website is only a guide for MITT students, not official legal advice, and information on this website may change without notice. Students are entirely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all IRCC regulations at all times during their studies and while they are in Canada, including requirements for permit and visa. We recommend students to refer to IRCC website at or contact IRCC Client Support Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to obtain the most-up-to-date information.

Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.



Call us at 204-989-6500