FAQ regarding COVID-19

Please note, the information below is a general guideline, not legal advice, and the information below is subject to change. If you have any visa or immigration questions, please make sure to contact Immigration Services Advisor Mindy Cha at immigrationservices@mitt.ca.

I need advice on my visa and study permit, but I prefer to meet an advisor online due to COVID-19. Could you help?

Please book a one-on-one online consultation with Immigration Services Advisor at calendly.com/mindy-cha or email immigrationservices@mitt.ca.

I recently completed my program. I know the graduation package will be mailed to me in 4-6 weeks, but my study permit will expire in two weeks. I have been offered a job from an employer. What can I do?

You may submit the unofficial final transcript from the student portal, instead of the official final transcript. For more information, visit this page.

Contact enrolment@mitt.ca to request your program completion letter. Enrolment Services would be able to issue a rushed completion letter if you have a job offer or your study permit is expiring within a month.

I need to apply for a study permit extension in Canada. But I cannot give my biometrics since Service Canada is closed. Can I drive to the border and apply for my permit?

Border officers usually do not accept study permit or co-op work permit applications. Please apply for permit or visa online. If you are applying for study permit or work permit in Canada, you are temporarily exempt from giving biometrics. Visit this page for details: www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/biometrics.html

I have been admitted to MITT, but I don't think I can submit my study permit to MITT Admissions by the study permit submission deadline. My study permit application processing has been delayed due to COVID-19. What should I do?

You may defer to the next available intake by contacting admissions@mitt.ca, and inform IRCC when you receive a new letter of acceptance. Contact MITT's Immigration Services Advisor at immigrationservices@mitt.ca to discuss your options.


I have not yet applied for study permit since I cannot give biometrics due to the closure of the visa office in my home country. When will the visa offices be open? Can I apply for study permit in-person when the visa office opens?

As per IRCC, you should apply for study permit online only under the COVID-19 circumstances. After you submit your study permit application online, you will receive the biometrics instruction letter. You can give your biometrics when the visa office near you is open. Some visa offices are opening. Please visit this link and check the visa office near you is open: www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/offices/find-visa-application-centre.html


I will travel to Canada soon. I heard I must quarantine once I arrive in Canada. What should I prepare for quarantine and my travel to Canada?

Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.



Call us at 204-989-6500