1. I applied to extend my study permit before the expiration date, but I still have not received my permit and my semester starts next week. Can I keep my studies in Canada?

    Yes, you can continue your studies as in ‘implied status’ until you receive a new permit, as long as your application has been received at IRCC before the expiration date and you remain in Canada.

  2. If I leave Canada with ‘implied status’, can I re-enter Canada?

    If you have a valid TRV or eTA, you may be allowed to enter Canada with a proof of permit application submission (copy of application, fee payment receipt, and acknowledgement of receipt of application). However, you will not be allowed to study until you receive a new permit. Check with IRCC for details. www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

  3. I forgot to apply before my permit expiration date, what are the next steps?

    Once your permit expires, you will be ‘out of status’ in Canada. To obtain a valid status in Canada, you must apply for restoration of permit or visa within 90 days of the permit expiration date. You will have to pay $200 restoration fee, in addition to the applicable application fee. In this case, you cannot study until you receive a new permit. Check with IRCC for details.

  4. I want to change school to MITT. What should I do?

    You can change school’s DLI number at IRCC website. Visit the following link for instructions. www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html

    You may refer to Change DLI section on this website for details.

  5. I plan to apply for Post-Graduation Work Permit, but I have not found a job yet. Can I still apply?

    Yes, you can apply as unemployed. Apply within the 180 days of receiving Confirmation of Completion letter. Graduates who applied for a PGWP in Canada before the expiry of study permit are eligible to work full-time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on your application.

  6. I am a full-time student at MITT and I need a visa for my spouse and child. What application do I need?

    Your spouse or child may be eligible for a work permit or visitor visa. Contact IRCC for details or contact Immigration Services Advisor.

  7. I am applying for study permit extension but I do not know my UCI or Document Number. Can you help?

    UCI is your Client ID number. This eight or ten digit number is on all documents you get from IRCC. UCI is usually written below the application number, on near the top right hand side of your permit or visa.

    Document number is written in black and it starts with one alphabetical letter (usually S, U, or V) and 9 digit number. It can be found on the top right hand corner of your document.

    For more information, refer to Study Permit Application Guide.pdf or contact IRCC.

Disclaimer: The content on this website is only a guide for MITT students, not official legal advice, and information on this website may change without notice. Students are entirely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all IRCC regulations at all times during their studies and while they are in Canada, including requirements for permit and visa. We recommend students to refer to IRCC website at www.canada.ca or contact IRCC Client Support Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to obtain the most-up-to-date information.

Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.