Co-op work permit

If your program has a mandatory work practicum, you must have a valid co-op work permit to attend your practicum.

If your study permit will expire before your program ends, you may apply for a co-op work permit and study permit extension application together.

If you don’t need to extend your study permit, apply for a co-op work permit only.

Documents required (Applying for a co-op work permit)

  • Work permit application form (Download from the work permit document checklist on your IRCC account)
  • Scanned copy of passport pages (scan all pages that has your ID, signature, visas or stamps)
  • Work Practicum Letter that confirms a Co-op (work practicum) is mandatory to complete your program
  • When you apply online, you may see a medical exam report in the list of Supporting Documents. Please note that IRCC medical exam result is valid for a year. You may submit the existing medical report if you have done your medical exam less than a year ago. If your medical exam has expired, you may need a new medical exam. Refer to the following link to book a medical exam with an IRCC Panel physician near you.

Processing time

Note: Processing time can change according to IRCC’s schedule, and at times can be significantly delayed. Therefore, it's important to apply for your co-op work permit as soon as possible. This processing time doesn’t include the time it takes to send an application between a VAC and IRCC office and the time you need to give your biometrics.

Visit this link for weekly updated application processing time.

Co-op work permits and off-campus work authorization

From November 15, 2022, to December 31, 2023, you may not need to apply for a co-op work permit. You don’t need a co-op work permit to complete your co-op placement if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You have a valid study permit and we received your application for this study permit on or before October 7, 2022.
  • Your study permit shows that you’re authorized to work off campus.
  • You’re eligible to benefit from the temporary policy change to work more than 20 hours per week while class is in session.
  • Your co-op placement ends by December 31, 2023.

If your co-op placement ends after December 31, 2023, or if you aren’t eligible for the temporary policy change, you need to apply for a co-op work permit to cover the period after that date. You can begin your co-op placement during this period before you’re issued the permit. Any other employment you have won’t be affected.

Medical exam exemption for students applying for a work permit in Canada (Temporary until October 6, 2024)

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has implemented a temporary public policy that exempts certain low-risk, in-Canada, foreign nationals from submitting an immigration medical examination (IME) as part of their application when their previous IME has expired. This supports faster processing of applications to help eligible foreign nationals quickly obtain temporary or permanent resident status.

This exemption applies to foreign nationals who have:

  • a new or pending application for permanent or temporary residence or a permanent resident visa, made from within Canada
  • completed an immigration medical exam within the last 5 years and posed no risk to public health or safety, or reported to public health authorities for monitoring, as required

When submitting an application, applicants must provide the unique medical identifier number from their previous medical exam. The temporary public policy will remain in effect until October 6, 2024. Applicants who are not eligible under this temporary public policy are required to undergo an IME as per usual health screening procedures.

Disclaimer: The content on this website is only a guide for MITT students, not official legal advice, and information on this website may change without notice. Students are entirely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all IRCC regulations at all times during their studies and while they are in Canada, including requirements for permit and visa. We recommend students to refer to IRCC website at or contact IRCC Client Support Centre at 1 888 242 2100 to obtain the most-up-to-date information.

Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.