T2202 Tuition and Education Tax Credit Receipt

Each February, MITT prepares T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificates for the previous tax year.

As per Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requirements, students may be eligible for the education tax credit for the:

  1. Amount of eligible tax deductible tuition and fees paid. For more information, visit Eligible Tuition Fees and Amounts Which Cannot Be Claimed As Tuition Fees 
  2. Number of months of eligible part-time or full-time enrolment/registration

Important notes:

  • The CRA determines which programs are eligible for inclusion on a T2202. 
  • Your T2202 will be produced using your student information on file. You are responsible for entering your Social Insurance Number and updating your contact information via your Student Portal Account.
  • If you have outstanding tuition, you may not qualify to receive a T2202 until additional payments are made.
  • Full details concerning the Tuition and Education Tax Credit may be found in the Canada Revenue Agency's Personal Income Tax Guide.
  • If your T2202 is not available in your Student Portal Account at the end of February, please contact finance@mitt.ca. Be sure to provide your student ID and full name in the email.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Electronic copies are made available to current and former students through their Student Portal Account, no later than the end of February. These forms will not be mailed. 

You do not need a new T2202. You may use the T2202 information as received even if your address is incorrect. According to CRA, it is not necessary for students to submit the T2202 form with the income tax return, unless CRA requests it.

Click here and complete a Student Account Support Request.

For security reasons, the only way to update your SIN is through your Student Portal Account. MITT staff cannot add or update your SIN for you. Please do not send us your SIN by email.

Once you've entered your SIN in your Student Portal Account, request an updated version of your T2202 by submitting a completed Document Request Form. Be sure to include a note on the Document Request Form that your SIN was missing from the original T2202.  A fee will be charged.

T2202 certificates are issued to students who:

  • are 16 years of age of older
  • have paid a minimum of $100 toward tuition fees, in a taxation year
  • have attended a program for a minimum of 3 consecutive weeks and at least 12 hours per month
  • have enrolled in the educational institution to obtain skills for, or improve the student's skills in, an occupation.

Some programs may not be eligible. Contact the CRA for further details.

Your tax receipt is based on the dates you attended MITT, and not when you paid your tuition. For example, if you paid in 2021 for classes that started in 2022, you will only receive a T2202 for the 2022 tax year.

If you attended MITT over multiple tax years, your tuition amount is spread over both years based on the number of days/months attended in each year. You will have a T2202 tax form for each calendar year you attended courses, with a portion of the tuition amount on one form and the balance on the other.

Your application and infrastructure/technology fees are included on the tax receipt in the year that you started your program.

The following fees are included:

  • Tuition fees
  • Infrastructure/technology fees
  • Application fees (only if you later enrol in the institution)
  • Examination fees (some restriction applies)

Yes, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has a list of amounts that cannot be claimed as tuition fees. Visit: Amounts which cannot be claimed as tuition fees

Please contact us by email at finance@mitt.ca. Be sure to provide your student ID and full name in your email.

Updated March 2022

Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.