New Sales and Event Coordinator program delivers in-demand skills

Originally posted: November 16, 2021

With more employers looking for someone who can fill multiple needs, and in-person events re-emerging, MITT and Manitoba Tourism Education College (MTEC) are pleased to unveil the Sales and Event Coordinator (SEC) macro-certificate; a program that equips students with a broad range of sales and event coordination skills.

Officially launching for the 2022-23 academic year on August 3, SEC will provide students with a unique combination of skills that make them attractive to employers looking for someone who can fill more than one role in their organization or tackle a broader range of tasks.

“Versatility, and the confidence to take on a variety of tasks, are just some of the industry feedback we used to help design this program with MTEC,” says Bev Stuart. “Sales and events go hand-in-hand so marrying the two into one program was a natural fit, and we have full confidence that our students will be able to handle the dual-track studies.”

The program is geared toward learners who are 18 years and older, friendly, detail-oriented, and have strong people skills that they want to apply in busy office environments where the needs of the customer is the top priority. During its 10-month duration, students will gain a range of skills as well as industry-recognized certificates, and even complete a 120-hour work practicum. Upon successful completion, they will earn an MITT post-secondary certificate.

The program is the second collaboration between MITT and MTEC, and both institutions feel confident it will have the same high-level of success as Client Service Specialist, which they launched in November 2020.

“Our relationship with MITT has been nothing short of phenomenal,” says MTEC CEO Shannon Fontaine. “Creating new opportunities for students to get certified is not a task you take lightly. Having a partner like MITT makes the process much more comfortable and easy to run.”

Courses will be taught at MTEC’s location on Scurfield Boulevard, conveniently close to MITT’s main campus on Henlow Bay in Winnipeg’s south end. Intakes in the fall and spring, comprising of three cohorts, will follow the August pilot where classes are scheduled for four hours per day (Monday to Friday) which allows students to balance additional responsibilities they may have. Meeting the burgeoning need for hospitality professionals as Manitoba continues its COVID-19 recovery.

“The tourism industry is going to be emerging from the COVID-19 pandemic with a lot of desire behind it. People want to get back to attending large events like galas and conferences, and the demand for professionals is going to be high,” adds Stuart. “We are fortunate to have MTEC working alongside us to create and execute this unique program that will fill a need in our province. Our graduates have an impressive employment rate right out of school and I have no doubt that our new Sales and Event Coordinator program will yield the same hire rate.”

Details about the new program are available here. For more information, please contact our recruitment team.

Twitter Facebook Share on:

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.

STUDENT SERVICES 1

Questions?

Call us at 204-989-6500

EMAIL US 1