MITT to offer cyber security training to high school girls

Originally posted: October 08, 2021

Breaking down the digital gender divide so women can pursue careers in technology is the impetus behind $25,000 in funding MITT will receive from the Province, as announced today on International Day of the Girl.

With the funds, MITT will offer its Certified Secure Computer User (CSCU) micro-credential, free, to 20 high-school aged females. The program, which will run later this year, introduces participants to threats in data and cyber security, and teaches the basics of how to keep their devices and information safe in both online and offline scenarios. As with most MITT programs, hands-on experience will be a key facet of the experience, as will mentorship from women currently working in cyber security, who will share their career stories to support the learners along the way. Upon successful completion, participants will receive a certificate they can include on their resumes or use as the building block for continued cyber security training.

Established in 2012, International Day of the Girl is a United Nations movement that highlight the rights of girls and the challenges they face, and advocates for greater action and investment to enable them to reach their full potential. This year’s International Day of the Girl is themed around “Digital generation. Our generation.” It looks to break down the digital gender divide.

“International Day of the Girl is an opportunity to highlight the role girls play as powerful voices for change in their families, their communities and their nations, and to reaffirm our collective commitment to advancing gender equality,” said Cox. “The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on women in the workforce and has reinforced how important it is to be able to connect virtually with one another, and to do so safely. Our government is proud to provide this opportunity for young women to gain important skills and explore future career options in the rapidly growing industry of cyber security.”

In addition to opening doors for these young women to explore exciting careers in tech, the CSCU experience will provide them a wealth of practical knowledge they can use to protect themselves from cyber threats every day.

“On International Day of the Girl, MITT is excited to offer high school girls in grades 11 and 12 an immersive experience in an interactive environment where they will acquire a fundamental understanding of various computer and network security threats,” added Kathy Knight, who is executive director of CyberWave and dean of MITT’s ICT Programs. “The skills learned from this program will help them take the necessary steps to mitigate security exposure. With this understanding of the basics of online safety, they can go on to be advocates for others and take control of their own online presence.”

Keep an eye on CyberWave’s website for registration information.

Twitter Facebook Share on:

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.

STUDENT SERVICES 1

Questions?

Call us at 204-989-6500

EMAIL US 1