Introducing CyberWave…Developing the Cyber Security Workforce of the Future in Manitoba and Beyond

Originally posted: August 10, 2021

Winnipeg, Manitoba - (August 11, 2021)—Since 2018, the Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology (MITT) has been developing a leading cyber security training and applied research initiative for Western Canada. These efforts, which recently got a boost thanks to funding from Western Economic Diversification, have culminated in CyberWave: a cyber security innovation and talent hub that will provide rapidly developed practical certifications and micro-credentials to students and working professionals in the field.

“The Government of Canada is proud to support MITT in its increased efforts in cyber defence education though the establishment of CyberWave,” says Terry Duguid, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Economic Development and Official Languages (Western Economic Diversification Canada). “The ongoing efforts by MITT to diversify Manitoba’s workforce and provide valuable cyber security professionals to the province–and Canada as a whole–cannot be understated.”

The already high demand for cyber security experts across the globe spiked significantly during the pandemic, as malicious online attacks exposed vulnerability in virtually every industry sector.

“Cyber crime is a large and growing threat in our digitized, global economy,” says Kathy Knight, Dean, ICT Programs, and Executive Director of CyberWave at MITT. “The demand for individuals with the skills to detect, protect and defend against these threats is rapidly on the rise. According to recent labour market reports, Canada alone will require an additional 40,000 to 53,000 cyber security practitioners by 2023. Through CyberWave, we’re responding to the call for cyber security talent by delivering the specialized training required to fill these in-demand roles.”

Meeting this demand locally and nationally by growing Manitoba’s cyber security industry is a crucial component of the province’s economic recovery from the pandemic.

CyberWave is launching six new short-term learning programs, known as micro-credentials, optimized for students and working professionals. EC-Council, one of the global leaders in cyber security certification programs, is CyberWave’s partner on these six programs and each training is delivered by top-tier cyber security professionals from within the industry.

“As a veteran in cyber defence, I’ve trained businesses to defend against or recover from cyber attacks,” says Eddie Philips, CyberWave cyber security instructor. “It’s important for organizations to properly monitor and manage their security systems. We’re all targets so cyber security practice is relevant to everyone from clerks to accountants to CEOs.”

These three to five-week courses are available online, allowing learners with family or work obligations to access training when it suits them, without the time and cost commitment of typical post-secondary education.

Working closely with industry, CyberWave identifies major skill-gap needs and tailored its suite of training to these areas, which include network defense, ethical hacking, penetration testing, incident handling, and security operations analysis. Applications for the Fall 2021 intake are now being accepted. Interested candidates can apply here.

CyberWave is also addressing cyber safety concerns as companies outsource internal functions to save costs. On September 14, it will host a free webinar with Travis Leppky, National IS Audit Partner at BDO, on top ways organizations can ensure they have security and privacy controls in place to manage the risk of outsourcing data.

“I thank the Government of Canada for their support of CyberWave,” says Ray Karasevich, MITT President and CEO. “Through CyberWave and our ongoing industry collaboration, we’re supporting highly-trained individuals to join the ever-evolving cyber security industry and help keep Canadian businesses and organizations safe.”

To learn more or to follow CyberWave on social media, visit: cyberwave.mitt.ca.

Twitter Facebook Share on:

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.

STUDENT SERVICES 1

Questions?

Call us at 204-989-6500

EMAIL US 1