Remembrance for Kamloops Residential School Victims

Originally posted: May 31, 2021

The flags at our Henlow and Pembina campuses will fly at half-mast this week to honour the memory of the 215 children recently discovered buried on the ground of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School.

This discovery is a stark reminder of Canada’s legacy of residential schools. It is also a reminder to all of us that there are many Indigenous Canadians, living and past, who will be forever impacted by injustice and much work remains in pursuit of reconciliation. We offer our deepest sympathies to the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation along with all residential school survivors and their communities.
At 2:15 p.m. today, we invite our campus community to observe a moment of silence in honour of the 215 lives lost.

We also offer the following resources to staff and students:

On-campus smudging: our Indigenous Student Advisor Ryan Bruyere is available to support and can be reached at 204 989 7184.

On-campus student support: our Social Worker Melanie Leslie is available to support students and can be reached at 204 989 6513.

Off-campus: support is also available through the National Indian Residential School Crisis Line 1-866-925-4419.

Twitter Facebook Share on:

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.

STUDENT SERVICES 1

Questions?

Call us at 204-989-6500

EMAIL US 1