Updates from MITT regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Originally posted: March 14, 2020

UPDATE: August 11, 2020, 11:30 a.m.
Fall 2020 Programs

• International student orientation (online): August 19 to 22, 2020
  • Introduction to College and Work (online): August 24 to September 4, 2020
  • Domestic student orientation (online): September 9 and 10, 2020
  • Post-secondary program start date: September 11, 2020
  • Post-graduate program start date: September 3, 2020

On-campus delivery begins on the following dates:

Program On-campus delivery begins
Auto Mechanics (Evening section) Sept. 28, 2020
Business Administrative Assistant Jan. 6, 2021
CAD Technician Sept. 28, 2020
Carpentry Sept. 11, 2020
Client Services Specialist TBD (November 2020 program start)
Cyber Defense and Cloud Administration Jan. 6, 2021
Early Childhood Education Sept. 28, 2020
Electrical Applications Sept. 14, 2020
Electronics Technician (formerly Industrial Electronics) (Day section) Sept. 28, 2020
Graphic and Print Technician Sept. 28, 2020
Hairstyling Sept. 14, 2020
Health Care Aide and Unit Clerk Sept. 28, 2020
Hospitality Management TBD (November 2020 program start)
Hotel and Hospitality Services Jan. 6, 2021
Industrial Mechanic/Millwright Sept. 14, 2020
Industrial Welding Sept. 28, 2020
Medical Office Assistant Sept. 28, 2020
Motosport Technician Sept. 14, 2020
Network and Computer Technology Jan. 6, 2021
Pharmacy Technician Sept. 11, 2020
Rehabilitation Assistant Sept. 11, 2020
Software Developer Jan. 6, 2021
Post Graduate Business Management Jan. 6, 2021
Post Graduate International Business Jan. 6, 2021

UPDATE: August 7, 2020, 2:30 p.m.
International students: travel restrictions extended until August 31, 2020
On July 30, 2020, IRCC announced the travel restrictions are extended until August 31, 2020. Details of the announcement can be found here: https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=39518&lang=enBefore this announcement on July 30th, IRCC had previously announced that the travel restrictions will be lifted on July 31, 2020.As a result of this travel restrictions extension, international students whose study permit was approved after March 18, 2020 cannot enter Canada until the travel restrictions are lifted. This can impact students in programs that require on-campus delivery in September.If you cannot travel to Canada due to the travel restrictions, or if you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact visainfo@mitt.ca or refer to the news and updates from MITT Registrar's Office at mitt.ca/news-and-updates-on-covid-19-from-mitts-registrars-office.
UPDATE: August 5, 2020, 12:00 p.m.
Quarantine resources for international students traveling to Canada and Manitoba
MITT welcomes international students for the 2020-2021 academic year. International students traveling to Canada and Manitoba must follow government regulations for the COVID-19 pandemic to keep travellers and communities safe.MITT has prepared a resource guide which outlines what international students must do while traveling and once you arrive in Winnipeg, Manitoba to meet the requirements for quarantine.If you have any questions, contact MITT Pre-Arrival Help Line at 1-204-989-7342 or click on the chat on our website link at www.mitt.ca/international.
UPDATE: July 24, 2020, 1:00 p.m.
Travel Restrictions and Exemptions: International Students Travelling to Canada, and MITT's letter that confirms an on-campus component
As per IRCC, students who already had a study permit or whose study permit approved on before March 18, 2020 are exempt from the travel restrictions at this time.Please click on the following link and review the IRCC travel restrictions and exemptions: www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.htmlIf you had a study permit application approved on or before March 18, 2020, IRCC have sent you a letter advising about

• public health measures in place to limit the spread of coronavirus in Canada
  • what to expect upon arrival, in particular, the mandatory 14-day quarantine instructions

If you had a study permit application approved after March 18, 2020, IRCC will send you a letter advising that

• you may not be exempt from the travel restrictions
  • you should not make any plans to travel to Canada until the travel restrictions are lifted, as you will not be allowed to travel to or enter Canada

MITT Registrar's Office will send a letter that confirms an on-campus component (essential travel letter) to all international students enrolled in Winter 2020, Spring 2020, and Fall 2020 programs by the end of the first week of August. However, please note that this letter does not guarantee your entry to Canada, AND this letter cannot help you enter Canada if your study permit was approved after March 18, 2020.If you have any questions regarding your travel to Canada, contact Immigration Services Advisor at visainfo@mitt.ca.
UPDATE: July 14, 2020, 4:00 p.m.
Biometrics exemption for students applying for study permit and work permit in Canada
You are exempt from giving biometrics if you’re applying for study permit, work permit or visitor visa from within Canada. This applies to all new applications as well as applications already in progress. You do not have to pay the biometric fee when you submit your application, even if the system tells you to pay it.If you are outside Canada, You don’t have to give your biometrics until biometrics collection services near you open, even if your biometrics instruction letter says you have 30 or 90 days. You are required to pay the biometric fee. For details www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/where-to-give-biometrics.asp
UPDATE: July 10, 2020, 10:00 a.m.
Biometrics collection services: the collection services remain unavailable at Services Canada. Some visa offices are operating with limited services.
To find out if the biometrics collection site near you has resumed biometrics collection services, visit this IRCC webpage regularly: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/where-to-give-biometrics.aspIf you have any questions about biometrics, contact MITT's Immigration Services Advisor at visainfo@mitt.ca.
UPDATE: July 6, 2020, 5:00 p.m.
International students outside Canada: a letter to support your entry to the Canada border
MITT Immigration Services Advisor would be able to provide you a letter to support your entry to the Canada border, if you meet ALL of the following conditions:

• You are currently outside Canada;
  • You require a letter from MITT as you are having difficulties in entering the Canada border or boarding on a plane to Canada;
  • You already have a valid study permit, or your study permit has been approved on or before March 18, 2020;
  • You choose to travel to Canada even though you can start your program from outside Canada and complete up to 50% of your program from outside Canada;
  • You are currently enrolled in the MITT Spring 2020 program, or you will start your program in Fall 2020;

If you meet ALL of the above conditions, please contact Immigration Services Advisor at visainfo@mitt.ca to request a letter. Please make sure to email your MITT Letter of Acceptance and IRCC Letter of Introduction (study permit approval letter). Explain why you should travel to Canada. Immigration Services Advisor will check your eligibility to study in Canada.Please note, MITT’s support letter does not guarantee your entry to the Canada border. You are responsible for demonstrating the border officer the necessary documents for your arrival AND your plan to quarantine for 14 days once you arrive in Winnipeg.
UPDATE: June 30, 2020, 3:00 p.m.
Visa and immigration FAQ webpage regarding COVID-19 is available
Please visit the following link and contact Immigration Services Advisor at visainfo@mitt.ca for any questions.mitt.ca/international-student-resources/permits-visas-and-more/faq-regarding-covid-19
UPDATE: June 16, 2020, 12:30 p.m.
Temporary measure for international students applying for post-graduation work permit
MITT's graduating students would receive the official final transcript and Confirmation of Completion in 4-6 weeks from the program completion date.In case students are unable to obtain the completion letter or official final transcript due to situations they cannot control, as a temporary facilitation measure by IRCC, they may submit a PGWP application without their letter of completion or final transcripts. However, they should submit a letter of explanation, indicating that why they are unable to submit the document or why it's taking them longer to get it. Once these documents become available, they should submit the documents using the IRCC web form.Please note, students can submit the unofficial final transcript from the student portal, instead of the official final transcript. Contact visainfo@mitt.ca for any questions.
UPDATE: May 29, 2020, 1:30 p.m.
Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology unveils return to campus plan for fall 2020
Fall plan strikes balance between protecting public health and student success through blended delivery of online and scalable on-campus learning, services.
Continue reading…
UPDATE: May 15, 2020, 1:00 p.m.
International students beginning in the Fall will be allowed to start their program online.
International students joining us this Fall will be allowed to begin and complete up to 50% of their program online from abroad in anticipation of a transition to Canada. These exceptional measures will be in place until December 31, 2020.
Wellness Together Canada provides tools and resources for Mental Health and Substance Use SupportFor more info: https://ca.portal.gs/Services available for international students as well.
Canada Emergency Response Benefit now available in CERB Multiple languagesFor more info: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/financial-assistance.html
UPDATE: May 13, 2020, 12:00 p.m.
International students are temporarily allowed to work more than 20 hours until August 31, 2020
If you are:

• a study permit holder in an academic session
  • eligible to work off campus, and
  • providing an essential service

Find out if your work is considered an essential service or functionView past posts.

Program On-campus delivery begins
CAD Technician Sept. 28, 2020
Carpentry Sept. 11, 2020
Electrical Applications Sept. 14, 2020
Hairstyling Sept. 14, 2020
Industrial Welding Sept. 28, 2020
Medical Office Assistant Sept. 28, 2020
Motosport Technician Sept. 14, 2020
Pharmacy Technician Sept. 11, 2020
Rehabilitation Assistant Sept. 11, 2020

Twitter Facebook Share on:

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.

STUDENT SERVICES 1

Questions?

Call us at 204-989-6500

EMAIL US 1