MITT to celebrate Access4All today in the Deltas

Originally posted: May 26, 2017

The Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology (MITT) to celebrate Access4All at local accessibility awareness event today.

May 26, WINNIPEG - Following the recent Rick Hansen Foundation Access4All funding of MITT’s “Pathways toward an accessible campus community” Barrier Buster project with the support of the Government of Canada, MITT will be spreading awareness about this initiative, by hosting a community awareness-building event at its 130 Henlow Bay campus this morning. This event will help to shed light on this very important project, thank local community leaders for their continued support, and celebrate the communities’ achievements in making Canada a more accessible and inclusive nation.

“With our Pathways toward an accessible campus community” Barrier Buster project well underway, we are excited to share the details of our work with the community, and celebrate the members of our community who are supporting our efforts,” said Ray Karasevich, Interim President and CEO.

What: Pathways toward an accessible campus community

When: Friday, May 26, 2017, 10 a.m. start

Where: 130 Henlow Bay

Who: (In order of presentation) Elder Mae Louise Campbell; Emilie McKinney (hoop dance performer); Ray Karasevich, Interim President and CEO, MITT; Darrin Luke, Rick Hansen Foundation Ambassador for Manitoba; Mr. Terry Duguid, Member of Parliament for Winnipeg South

Details: The public event will begin with a blessing by Elder Mae Louise, followed by a hoop dance performance by Emilie McKinney. Ray Karasevich, Interim President and CEO, MITT, will acknowledge the Rick Hansen Foundation and the Government of Canada for their support of the Barrier Buster Project Grant and provide an update on MITT’s work towards creating greater accessibility and meeting the requirements of the Accessibility for Manitobans Act. Rick Hansen Foundation Ambassador Darrin Luke will present with remarks to follow from Mr. Terry Duguid. The event will close with a plaque unveiling by Mr. Duguid, Mr. Karasevich and Mr. Luke.    

For more information, please contact Jeremy Brooks, Manager of Public Relations, MITT.

204 989-2874
204 806-4491
jeremy.brooks@mitt.ca

Appendix:

On this upcoming milestone of Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation, and with support from the Government of Canada, the Rick Hansen Foundation invited schools and community groups to learn more about accessibility, identify barriers, and apply for grants of up to $30,000 to undertake and celebrate accessibility infrastructure improvements in public places and spaces.   

For more information on Rick Hansen’s Access4All program, please visit www.rickhansen.com/access4all

Canada’s 150th is an opportunity to celebrate the values of our great country with pride: values such as inclusion, diversity, compassion and access for everyone.As we celebrate these values, it’s also important that we create lasting impact. Together, we can create an accessible Canada and leave a lasting legacy for our country’s 150th.

For more information on the Canada 150 Signature initiative, please visit http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1468262573081

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.

STUDENT SERVICES 1

Questions?

EMAIL US 1