MITT Announces Rick Hansen Foundation Access4All Barrier Buster Project

Originally posted: May 24, 2017

MITT logo
Access4All logo

For immediate release:

The Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology (MITT) announces Rick Hansen Foundation Access4All Barrier Buster project: “Pathways toward an accessible campus community” to contribute to a more inclusive and accessible Canada.

May 24, WINNIPEG – The Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology (MITT) is pleased to announce today a $30,000 funding grant through the Rick Hansen Foundation’s Access4All Program, a Canada 150 Signature Initiative aimed at breaking down barriers for people living with disabilities. With the participation of the Government of Canada, this grant benefits MITT’s campus community in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and all who come there to learn, work or visit by supporting its Barrier Buster Project, “Pathways toward an accessible campus community.”

MITT’s project, which builds on efforts to remove barriers to accessibility within its learning community, involved the purchase and installation of button-activated automatic doors openers for washrooms and entrances within its Henlow Bay and Pembina Highway campuses.

The Barrier Buster project began in April and was completed in mid-May. The project involved the installation of button-activated automatic door openers for washrooms and entrances within two of MITT’s campuses. The installation of these buttons removes a barrier to entry for persons with disabilities, but also for the elderly, for someone who may be carrying some kind of heavy item in their arms, or for a parent or guardian escorting or carrying young children or infants.

“With support from the Government of Canada and the Rick Hansen Foundation, the Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology is helping ensure that every individual has the opportunity to realize their full potential, and it begins with creating inclusive and accessible communities all across Canada,” said Ray Karasevich, Interim President and CEO.  “MITT is proud to be part of the Canada 150 Access4All program, and we believe thatPathways towards an accessible campus community’ will play an important role in building a world without barriers. We would like to thank our community and our funding partners for their ongoing support in realizing this vision.”

For more information, please contact:

Jeremy Brooks
Public Relations Manager
Office: 204 989-2874 Cell: 204 806-4491
Email: jeremy.brooks@mitt.ca

Appendix:

On this upcoming milestone of Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation, the Rick Hansen Foundation, with support from the Government of Canada, invited schools and community groups to learn more about accessibility, identify barriers, and apply for grants of up to $30,000 to undertake and celebrate accessibility infrastructure improvements in public places and spaces.   

For more information on Rick Hansen’s Access4All program, please visit: www.rickhansen.com/access4all

Canada’s 150th is an opportunity to celebrate the values of our great country with pride: values such as inclusion, diversity, compassion and access for everyone.As we celebrate these values, it’s also important that we create lasting impact. Together, we can create an accessible Canada and leave a lasting legacy for our country’s 150th.

For more information on the Canada 150 Signature initiative, please visit: http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1468262573081

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.

STUDENT SERVICES 1

Questions?

EMAIL US 1