Student Advising - All MITT Students
All members of the MITT Student Advising team are available to assist students with:
- Identifying and meeting their educational and career goals
- Working through any academic or personal issues
- Referrals to MITT supports and off-campus resources
- Making informed decisions by understanding all of their options
Aboriginal Student Advising
- Facilitates the growth and development of a strong and supportive Aboriginal student community at MITT
- Helps Aboriginal students connect their MITT program and student experience to their community, personal goals, and career development
- Works with students, their families, sponsors, and other First Nations and Aboriginal resources
International Student Advising
- Support, advice, and resources unique to International Students
- Help and guidance for successfully adapting to Canadian school and work culture
Accessibility Services Advisor
- Coordinates accessibility supports for students with a permanent or temporary disability
- Leads the MITT support team to develop a comprehensive education plan
- Acts as an advocate and liaison with sponsors and other off-campus supports
The Learning Specialist at MITT is a resource for students who are experiencing challenges with the academic component of their technical training. This includes:
- Encouraging students to develop a mindset of reframing challenges as opportunities for growth and to take ownership of their learning process by working together to identify the areas impeding success in the classroom
- Developing an individual learning plan, focused on learning strategies, to help students become more efficient and effective learners
- Coaching students in the areas of reading comprehension strategies, writing effectively, math skills, communication and presentation skills, conflict resolution, problem solving, critical thinking and effective time management
- Promoting competence in the MITT Work Skills in the areas of Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Conflict Resolution and effective communication strategies, through in-class modules in cooperation with MITT instructors and Student Success Centre staff.
Students can meet with the Learning Specialist for one-on-one coaching sessions through referrals from student advisors, instructors and academic coordinators.
To meet with a Student Advisor, please contact Student Services at Henlow, at 204-989-6512, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.