Introduction to College and Work
This is a preparatory program designed to help transition international students successfully to the cultural, technical, and work expectations of Canadian post-secondary and workplace environments. This program provides a comprehensive framework to help students develop higher-order reading and thinking skills, essential employability skills, and job search strategies necessary for success in the Canadian workforce.
At A Glance
CredentialCertificate of Completion
Tuition FeesIncluded in program admission fees
additional student feesN/A
* Tuition fees may be subject to change.
Next Start Dates:
August 8, 2017
January 8, 2018
International students admitted to any MITT certificate or diploma program (excluding post-graduate certificates), will be automatically registered for the Introduction to College and Work program. Students must complete this program prior to beginning their certificate or diploma program.
On completion of this program, graduates should be able to:
- Explain key components of college and workplace culture in Canada and their role within each.
- Describe and utilize the essential employability skills, as embodied by the MITT Work Skills framework, required for success at college and in the Canadian workplace.
- Apply effective and efficient reading strategies to comprehend, summarize, and evaluate information found in academic and workplace documents.
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills using a systematic framework and recognized methodologies to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information.
- Prepare for job search activities by tailoring resumes to the Canadian employer, enhancing interview skills, and identifying job opportunities through traditional and online sources.
Students will not be permitted to begin a technical program without successfully completing the Introduction to College and Work program and may be required to defer the start of their technical training to a subsequent program intake.
There is a minimum attendance requirement for each of the courses in this program. Refer to the individual course outlines for details.
Introduction to Work and College is a mandatory requirement for all International Students for graduation eligibility.