Hospitality Management Diploma
Jobs & Salaries
Related Job Titles:
- Hotel Manager
- Restaurant Manager
- Bed and Breakfast Operator
- Front Office Manager
- Rooms Division Manager
- Revenue Manager
- Event Planner
- Oversee the operational departments (example, housekeeping and front desk)
- Recruit and supervise staff, oversee training and set work schedules
- Interact with guests and resolve their complaints
- Ensure health and safety standards are met
- Negotiate with suppliers, keep track of inventory and order supplies
- Prepare budgets, maintain sales records and manage payrolls
- Plan advertising and promotion campaigns
- Monitor the business financial performance
Hospitality Managers often possess the following attributes and abilities:
- Prior experience
- Strong interpersonal / communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to remain calm
Working Conditions / Environment
Hospitality management is a service-oriented business. Working conditions for accommodation managers are as varied as the establishments they operate. Evening and weekend work is common and some establishments are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and managers may work long, irregular hours in addition to being on call for emergencies. Some managers live in their establishments and are constantly involved with operations.
Students in the Hospitality Management program will obtain Smart Choices certification (required for work practicum). Students will also receive additional certification including WHMIS, First Aid & CPR Certification, and Food Handlers certification.
Employment & Advancement
People take different pathways through their careers, but no one starts at the top. Click below for an example of how the earnings, education and experience requirements, and responsibilities might progress for someone in this occupation:
For information on earning potential in this career, go to:
For specific salary information for Manitoba, go to:
Are Employers Hiring?
It is good to get into the habit of checking the hiring demand fairly frequently. The need for workers is dependent on many things such as the international market in which conditions can change quickly. The most up-to-date information is usually specific job ads which can give you a sense of the current hiring need.