Important changes to health insurance for international students in Manitoba

Updated September 25, 2018

MITT is pleased to announce their continued partnership with as provider of the MITT International Student Health Insurance plan, called “ @ manitoba”.

The @ manitoba insurance plan provides MITT’s international students with coverage that is very close to what all Manitoban's receive through Manitoba Health.

This plan provides access to medical services for:

  • routine health care needs
  • existing, chronic, or new illness
  • serious illness
  • emergency incidents and accidents

Access to health care is very important to your wellbeing, and to your ability to learn. MITT has made enrolment in the @ manitoba plan mandatory/required for all of our international students.

Please visit International Student Health Insurance for answers to frequently asked questions about this new plan.

Effective September 1, 2018:

  •        MITT will charge international students for a mandatory health insurance plan
  •        Admitted students will receive email communications with specific details

On March 27, 2018, the Province of Manitoba amended The Health Services Insurance Act, ending access to free universal health care for international students studying at Manitoba colleges and universities. This change is effective September 1, 2018, at which time international students and their dependents will no longer be eligible for Manitoba provincial health insurance on the basis of a study permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

This change will apply to new students as well as students continuing on in their program of studies within Manitoba.

Current students who will be continuing to study in Manitoba will be contacted directly by Manitoba Health and advised that their current health insurance will end as of August 31, 2018.

Please note that in some cases, international students and their dependents may continue to be eligible for coverage by meeting other criteria under The Health Social Services Act and the Residency and Registration Regulation (e.g. work permit holders).  

Students who have additional questions about eligibility for coverage under the provincial health plan can connect with Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living:

On the web   
By phone: 204 786 7101, toll free, 1 800 392 1207
By email: 
In person: 300 Carlton St., Winnipeg, Manitoba, (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday).

Why Study At MITT?

Thank you for considering MITT as your study destination. We deliver practical training through one- and two-year certificates and diplomas in the areas of health care, human services, information and business technology, and skilled trades. In addition to providing you an education that leads directly to employment opportunities, everyone in MITT's learning community is dedicated to ensuring you have a truly memorable education journey.

MITT is diverse.
We welcome students from over 40 countries around the world and our campus community actively celebrates the cultural diversity of our student body.

MITT is student focused.
Your success is our priority, so MITT offers comprehensive student supports and a personalized approach to learning to help you achieve your academic goals and set you on your career path. The result? We have outstanding graduation rates in all our programs.

MITT is industry driven.
We are in regular conversation with our industry partners to ensure our programs meet their needs and provide you with the skills and experiences you need to successfully find employment.

MITT provides students safe, respectful, learning environments.
We train our students for the expectations of the Canadian workplace by reinforcing these standards (for conduct, respect, inclusion, and professionalism) in the classroom and in the policies that govern our Institute. Our campuses are located within or close to residential neighbourhoods and are serviced by major bus routes. We also employ day and evening security personnel to monitor our campuses and provide students a point of contact in the event they have any questions or concerns.

Winnipeg: A Diverse, Dynamic City

As the largest city in Manitoba, Winnipeg is a prosperous and growing urban centre with a diverse population and economy. Home to world-class music and cultural festivals, countless restaurants, three professional sports teams, and year-round community events, Winnipeg is a hive of activity, commerce, culture, and fun. There are many public colleges and universities in Winnipeg, making it a great place to meet and connect with other students of all ages. Pegged as one of the five best cities in Canada to find a job, Winnipeg has many employment opportunities in high-demand industries to which MITT's programs are aligned. "Friendly Manitoba", as our province is known, has a strong and growing economy, welcoming newcomers with all types of talent and ambition.

Living in Winnipeg while you study
MITT offers a Homestay program for students who wish to live with a local family while they study. Among the benefits of this living arrangement are the opportunity to improve English language skills and make new friends. There are also many private or shared accommodations available for rent in close proximity to MITT campuses. Online search tools such as the Rental Network can help you find available properties for rent in Winnipeg.

Learn more about learning, living, and working in Winnipeg, Manitoba, here.

Study and Work Permits

Study permits
It is the student's responsibility to ensure a study permit is applied for in a timely manner. Students wishing to apply for a study permit need a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).The Designated Learning Institution Number (DLI#) for MITT is: O19391828428.

After receiving a Letter of Acceptance, you must apply for a study permit. Official information on requirements can be obtained from an IRCC office in Canada, a Canadian Embassy or Consulate overseas and/or the IRCC website.

Students who have been admitted to a post-secondary program must provide proof of a valid student permit at least 30 days before the start of the program. If a valid study permit cannot be presented by this time, admission will be automatically deferred to the next available intake.

Work permits
International students will be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit upon successful completion of a program at MITT. Click here for details.

Student Partners Program

MITT is a participating member of the following partnership programs which help students more easily apply for visas to study in Canada:

China: Student Partnership Program (SPP)

India: Student Partnership Program (SPP)

Philippines: Study Direct Stream (SDS)

Vietnam: Canada Express Study Program (CES)

Immigrating to Canada

What you need to know

Canada has clear rules governing who can provide advice on immigration, refugee, and citizenship matters:

  • Lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society;
  • Notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Québec; and
  • Citizenship or immigration consultants who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council.

These rules are explored in greater detail on the IRCC website. Reviewing IRCC's site, as well as the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, should be part of your research if you are considering immigrating to Canada.

Engaging a MITT authorized education recruitment agent is your choice

MITT works with a global network of authorized recruitment agents based in Canada and with offices around the world and these relationships adhere to the International Education Act. The only agents authorized to recruit on behalf of MITT are listed here. MITT pays these agents a commission for their recruitment services.

No student is required to engage a recruitment agent; it is a choice that the student and their family must consider/make on their own. If you are looking to engage a recruitment agent, be sure you understand up front if they are a MITT authorized agent, what services they provide, what fees they may charge for services beyond what they are contracted by MITT to do and ask for all of this information in writing. If you have any questions or concerns about agents, let us know!

In addition to the International Education Act, the following resources provide a comprehensive look at the rights and responsibilities of education providers, staff recruiters, and contracted agents; as well as information on how to find a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant who can assist you with immigration matters such as visas or study permits. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with these resources.

The Guide to the Code of Practice and Conduct Regulation for Manitoba Designated Education Providers, Their Staff Recruiters and Contracted Agents (link).

Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council website.

You are protected in Canada as students and as consumers

In addition to the measures MITT takes to provide its students a safe campus environment, there are a variety of regulations in place in Canada and Manitoba to help keep them safe as consumers.

Government of Canada
Immigration fraud
Services and information for new immigrants
Newcomers and the Canadian tax system
Housing for newcomers

Government of Manitoba
Consumer protection

Opening a bank account – Canadian Bankers Association


Contact International Recruitment by email or phone 1 204 989 6500.

Ready to start your application?
Click here.


Find a program that's right for you!

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.



Call us at 204-989-6500