Manufacturing Production Worker Program
The Manufacturing Production Worker Program is part of the Refugee Employment Development Initiative (REDI) and is a joint programming initiative between Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology (MITT) and .
This program provides refugees in Winnipeg a pathway into employment as production workers with manufacturing companies in Manitoba and helps them improve their English language skills. MITT specializes in preparing students for work by providing quality language training while OFE provides extensive and proven employment training.
Apply Now! Registration is now open for the next November start date - see below for details.
The Manufacturing Production Worker Program features two phases: sector-specific language training with MITT and occupation-specific employment training with OFE. Language training at MITT focuses specifically on the English skills necessary to succeed in employment as a production worker in the manufacturing sector and includes, at no additional charge:
• Workplace culture training to improve participants’ soft skills and understanding of the nuances of working as part of a team
• Employment support training designed to help participants “understand the systems” of employment such as filing taxes, filling out EIA forms, money management, workplace safety, and more
• Learn to learn better strategies for understanding fast speech, taking notes, and asking smart questions
• Student counselling and advising supports, which are available to all program participants to assist them in overcoming other personal and professional barrier to employment
Have a question? Email or call 204-989-7746.
Start dates, class times, and program duration
|Duration||Six months, full time|
|Class times||Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.|
|Next program start dates||May 21, 2019
August 26, 2019
December 12, 2019
Applicants to this program must have come to Canada as a Refugee or a Refugee Claimant.
Applicants must also:
• Have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) between 1–3
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada
• Be 18 years or older
• Be currently unemployed and looking for work
• Have childcare in place including summer months (if applicable)
• Accept employment offered at the end of the program
For more information or to apply, please call 204-989-7746 or visit MITT at 609 Erin Street.
Alternatively, you can also call 204-925-5283 or visit OFE at 300-294 Portage Avenue.
Please bring the following with you on your first visit to MITT or OFE:
- Landing Papers, Permanent Resident (PR) Card or Work Permit
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
HAVE A QUESTION?
Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.