T2202A Tuition and Education Tax Credit Receipt
Each February, MITT prepares student T2202A tax forms for the previous tax year.
Students may be eligible for the education tax credit for each month of part-time or full-time registration. The T2202A will reflect the number of months of enrolment eligible to be considered as part-time or full-time.
- This form will be produced using the student information we have on record; students are responsible for notifying MITT of any address changes.
Students with outstanding tuition may not qualify to receive this form until additional payments are made.
- Once tax forms have been released, if your T2202A is not available in your portal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Full details concerning the Tuition and Education Tax Credit may be found in the Canada Revenue Agency's Personal Income Tax Guide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I get my T2202A?
Electronic copies are made available to current and former students through the student portal, no later than the end of February. These forms will not be mailed. Current students will be notified when these are available.
Students requesting a printed or mailed copy of their T2202A form must complete the Educational Document Request Form and pay the appropriate fee.
What if the address on my T2202A is incorrect? Do I need a new T2202A?
You do not need a new form. You may submit the T2202A information as received even if the address is incorrect.
According to CRA, it is not necessary for students to submit the T2202A with the income tax return, unless CRA requests it.
Who is eligible to receive a T2202A tax form?
T2202A tax forms are issued to students who:
- are 16 years of age of older
- have paid a minimum of $100 toward tuition fees, in a taxation year
- have attended a program for a minimum of 3 consecutive weeks and at least 12 hours per month
- have enrolled in the educational institution to obtain skills for, or improve the student's skills in, an occupation
Why does my tax receipt not equal to the tuition I paid for the year?
Your tax receipt is produced based on when you attended MITT, and not when you paid your tuition. For example, if you paid in 2017 for classes that started in 2018, you will only receive a T2202A for the 2018 tax year.
If you attended MITT over multiple tax years, your tuition will be spread out over both years based on the number of days/months attended in each year. You will have a tax form for calendar each year that you attend MITT, with some tuition on one and some tuition on the other.
Your application and infrastructure/technology fees are included on the tax receipt in the year that you started your program.
What fees are eligible to be included in my T2202A tuition amount?
The following fees are included:
- Tuition fees
- Infrastructure/technology fees
- Application fees (only if you later enrol in the institution)
- Examination fees (some restriction applies)
Still have questions?
Please contact our finance department by email at email@example.com.
Updated March 2, 2018
HAVE A QUESTION?
Contact us today and we will be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you have.