Provincial funding to support trades training for women at MITT

January 14, 2019

January 19, 2019, Project Empower funding announcement

Provincial funding to support women in trades at MITT
The Province kick-started Women's Equality Week 2019 today in MITT's Motosport shop with a funding commitment that will help the college teach more women about the opportunities that exist in the trades. 
Hon. Rochelle Squires, Minister of Sustainable Development, and Minister responsible for the status of women, announced $25,000 to support the Empower Project, which will engage women students as part-time recruiters to share information about diverse trades training and career opportunities available to fellow women in Manitoba. The money will also support development of marketing materials targeted at women that espouse the benefits of working in so-called non-traditional careers.
The event included remarks from CAD Technician student, Holly Shimaro, Industrial Electronics Instructor, Brianne Dietrich, and Dean Grace Leduc, who welcomed the support as an important step toward getting more women interested in trades-based careers.
"While we have seen progress over my time at MITT, there are still improvements to be made with respect to the participation of women in trades, their access and inclusion within the workplace and the opportunities presented to them in their fields," said Grace. "We are continuously working to break down barriers and see that anyone can pursue a field of interest and no field or occupation should ever be defined by gender. I look forward to seeing the trend of women in trades become the norm. And with the support of the Province of Manitoba, MITT will help make this happen."

Province of Manitoba press conference 

CTV Winnipeg coverage (13:30 mark)

Twitter Facebook Share on:

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services 1

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.

STUDENT SERVICES 1

Questions?

Call us at 204-989-6500

EMAIL US 1