Mayor Bowman connects with high school students at MITT

May 11, 2017

Mayor Brian Bowman’s ongoing tour of every high school in Winnipeg made its stop at MITT today and introduced His Worship to a unique player in the secondary scene: MITT High School, the first public secondary trades and technology school within a post-secondary institution in Manitoba. Students from MITT High, MITT partner high schools, and many others joined Bowman in the Deltas for a presentation and Q and A.

In his introductory remarks, Bowman reflected on his own journey from being a sports-first, academics-second high schooler, to an engaged university student, to ultimately deciding in 2014 to campaign to become Winnipeg’s 43rd mayor. His message?

“Do things that scare you a little bit,” Bowman said.

Bowman also used the opportunity to talk about Winnipeg’s efforts to combat racism and create a path towards reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples. He praised MITT for its ongoing commitment towards this goal – which Interim President and CEO Ray Karasevich pointed out, will include being a signatory to the Winnipeg Indigenous Accord in June.

In the question period that followed, attendees asked the Mayor questions on a host of issues from how MITT can improve transit coverage to what his vision was for the city’s downtown to what his best advice would be for high school students planning their future.

“Follow your passions,” Bowman said. “It doesn't matter what it is. If you believe in it, you will put your heart and soul into it and good things will happen.”

Twitter Facebook Share on:

Find Your New Career

If you're not sure how to take that next step, our Career Services team can help you connect your interests with the right courses to launch a new career. Find salary potential and career pathways for hundreds of careers in Manitoba.

Career Services

Student Services

Several services are offered to assist students in fulfilling their goals at the Institute. Child care, tutor programs, and much more.

STUDENT SERVICES

Questions?

Call us at 204-989-6500

EMAIL US